Jan 5, 2013

Interview with Kirstin Pulioff



What got you into writing?
I have been writing my whole life.  It is my creative outlet… some people cook, some draw, and some sing (you don’t want to see me do any of those things)… I write.  It’s only been the last couple of years that I have done it with the intent of pursuing this as a career.

What inspired you to write “The Escape of Princess Madeline”?
“The Escape of Princess Madeline” began as an escape for me.  I actually wrote this book several years ago, while working in an office.  That position didn’t fulfill my creative needs, so on my lunch breaks, I began writing.  One day, over my tomato and cucumber salad, as I was doodling in my notebook, a light bulb went off in my head.  Suddenly, this story began unfolding in my mind … every day during lunch, I picked up where I had left off, and a month and a half later, the first draft was finished… then several years later, I decided it was time to try and do something with it, and I began to pursue publication and a writing career.

Any of these characters have the same traits as you, or someone you know?
Princess Madeline is a combination of a lot of women in my life, and the struggles we faced in the process of growing up.  It was very important to me to make sure that this character was relatable and real.  Yes, she is a princess, but above all, she is a sixteen year old girl.  A girl growing up on the verge of her own life and her own choices.  It was important to balance the hard and soft qualities of her – her rashness with intelligence, her stubbornness with strength, and her defiance with vulnerability.

Tell us about your main character in one sentence. 
Princess Madeline is a combination of all your favorite princesses- their beauty, intelligence, stubbornness, and their desire for a future of their making.

Can you share a secret/teaser about your book that would make the readers dive in.
How far would you go for freedom and love?  Follow Princess Madeline on her exciting journey that leads her into magic, danger, and a new life.

Do you have a favorite scene in this book? Or maybe a scene you didn't like writing?
One of my favorites would be the Royal Ball.  This is the first moment where Princess Madeline defies her father, and makes a stand towards her independence.  I love the duplicity of the scene- the battle of wills between Princess Madeline and King Theodore, the conflicting emotions as suitors are presented, all this tension portrayed in such a beautiful setting.   

A princess, knights, royalty, a fairy tale type of book. Did you always plan to write fairy tale stories or did it just happen? Do you write in other genres?
It sort of just happened for me.  When I began writing I wrote the story that was playing out in my mind.  I love fairy tales, there is something magical about them- the opportunity to suspend belief, to be inspired and believe that good conquers evil, Prince Charming is waiting to be found, and that happy endings are the only type.

This is the only genre that I currently write in, but that may change in the future.

Do you have any other books in the works? If so, will it be another fairy tale type?
Yes, I am currently working on the sequel, “The Battle for Princess Madeline.”  Now that Princess Madeline has found her future, how far will she go to protect it- a true battle between good and evil. 

I am also in the beginning stages of an adult historical romance novel, and am excited to see where those ideas take me.

Thanks for being on my blog! Is there anything else you would like to say/ add?
Thank you so much for having me, I am honored to be here.  You have been such a wonderful host, and I am so flattered at your review.