Feb 18, 2014

Lumiere Interview

When did you realize that you wanted to become a writer?
I’ve apparently been telling stories since I could talk. At three, I told my parents a whopper about having been a mouse that lived in our cupboard before I came to live with them, (which one day, I intend to work into a book!). I guess I first realized it in grade three, when in my free time I wrote a series of books (about 4 pages each) called “Splendor’s Mountain,” a rip off of the beloved television show, “Walton’s Mountain.” (Yes, I am sadly that old.) In the series, a family of ten battled daily life troubles. Each book featured a new family member. I remember Mrs. Martin encouraging me, editing them in red pen and writing her response on the final page, where I always included an original illustration.

Is being an Author all you dreamed of, or did it just happen? The best and worst thing about it?
Ummmm, it’s kind of early to answer this question, but I’d say so far, it’s been wonderful! The best thing has to be hearing wonderful feedback from readers who’ve really enjoyed the story! There is nothing more special. Especially when I hear from kids with epilepsy…that means so very much. The worst thing is plodding through the second draft…for me…when I find mistakes and I have to tear it all apart and it feels like I’ll never get it all back in one piece. There is a point where it feels almost hopeless, but I’ve learned when you hit that point, it’s like the wall to a runner, and if you just push through it, it will all be okay.

What was the very first thing you ever wrote?
I think those Spendor’s Mountain books are the very first think I remember. And I remember I wrote a piece in high school that I won money for, and another piece in University that my professor wanted to publish in a journal! The first book I ever wrote is called “The Policy.” I never let anyone read it, but recently I have, and they’ve encouraged me to get it polished and get it out there. So, you might see it yet!

What made you create (your book)? How did it come to you?
Eyelet came to me first. I was waking up one morning and her name came to me, and then I saw her face, and then the scene on the steps of the school, where she faced off with Smrt, as the ravens circled her head. In that groggy moment before you actually wake, I often get book inspirations. It seems to be a magical time of the day for me. That morning, I heard their entire conversation. It played out in my head like a movie and I knew it was special, so I ran for a pen and paper and got it down as quickly as I could. From there the story grew every day.

Who is your literary hero?
Wow, this one is hard for me, because unlike a lot of other writers, I didn’t do a lot of reading when I was young. My mother didn’t read, so I never had anyone to read to me, and it wasn’t encouraged, but movie watching was. I loved story, and deep storytelling, the kind found in the classics, which my parents loved to watch. I’d have to say, L. Frank Baum is my literary hero, because The Wizard of Oz is my all time favorite, and when I was old enough, it was one of the first books I ever read, over and over.

How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
Hmmmm…I’ve never really thought about this, good question. I would have to say Urlick reminds me a bit of my charming second son, who is very shy, but very loveable. (Also, I thought of Johnny Depp’s character in Jack Sparrow, in particular his movements, when I was writing him.) I guess, when I think of it Eyelet reminds me a bit of my daughter, in that my daughter is fiercely independent, can be very stubborn and doesn’t like to listen, but is also, very loveable. (smile)

Describe your main character in six words.


Bright. Bold. Plucky. Outspoken. Stubborn. Loyal. (Since I already said Loveable above.)