Jul 25, 2014

Chasers Interview

When did you realize that you wanted to become a writer?
I realized this by accident. It was last year in late 2013, when I finished writing the entire manuscript to my debut novel, Chasers. I figured that if I can finish one novel, I might as well continue writing more.

Is being an Author all you dreamed of, or did it just happen? The best and worst thing about it?
It just happened. The best thing about writing is that you get to pretty much dictate everything you want to happen in a story: the setting, the characters, the names of settings and characters, etc. I don’t really think there is a worst thing about writing. Maybe just that time never allows me to do as much of it as I hope.

What was the very first thing you ever wrote?
The first literary things I ever wrote were poems. They were short, haha.

What made you create (your book)?  How did it come to you?
I created my book based on a dream I had many years ago. It was of the beginning, middle, and ending of my story. I set it down for a few more years until 2013, when I decided to fill in the details of that dream, and write out a whole novel.

Who is your literary hero?
I admire the character Jonas in Lois Lowry’s book, The Giver. He wasn’t afraid to leave behind a life he thought was wrong.

How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
They’re all based on people I know, and also have some of my traits through the way they think about life and each other.

Describe your main character in six words.
Only recognizes her flaws through others.

Describe the world you’ve created in six words.
Modern, based on America in reality.

What scene was your favorite to write?
The end of chapter 24, when all three main characters realize that they need to stick together in order to overcome their obstacles.

What scene was the hardest for you to write?
Chapter 9, when some of the peripheral characters got caught up in a sudden earthquake, and one of them was at risk of dying in it. I cringed writing about the pain she felt from her injuries.

What are you working on now?
I’m in the process of publishing my second novel, entitled Days of Amber. It will be under a different pseudonym, Alex Chu. It’s sort of like a “corporate scandal” story, only with very silly and lighthearted characters. I hope to break out of the “dark and foreboding” atmosphere that Wall Street tell-alls tend to portray.

Goals? Accomplishments? Improvements?
If all goes well, and I receive enough funding and resources, I’d like to adapt my second novel into a script, and turn it into a live production.

Are there any authors or books you recommend?
Yes, two: The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, and The Orphan, The Soulcatcher, and the Black Blizzard, by Kimberlee Ann Bastian.

What's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?
Going out with friends, and talking to random strangers for more inspiration.