Aug 30, 2014

Interview with Krista

When did you realize that you wanted to become a writer?
I’ve had a passion for writing for as long as I can remember. I remember going on family vacations and locking myself in my room, escaping into the realities I wrote of! I’m pretty sure I started getting serious about it around age 11.

Is being an Author all you dreamed of, or did it just happen? The best and worst thing about it?
This is a tough question. I feel like I am so new to this world still that I don’t have adequate information to answer that question. I guess originally I always dreamt of being traditionally published and on bookshelves everywhere, however, after endless research, self-publishing seemed to be the right route for me.

Best thing: The people I have been able to touch with my mere words. Having people tell you that your writing has bettered their life in any way shape or form? Priceless.

Worst thing: Having to do it all by myself; don’t get me wrong, I love control…but sometimes it would be nice to have a team behind me helping with all the aspects to releasing a book; especially the marketing!

What was the very first thing you ever wrote?
I don’t remember the VERY first thing I wrote. It was probably garbage anyways. But the first book I ever wrote was My Forever. It was called Madalynne and Parker back then and I was a sophomore in high school. The first draft was again, utter garbage, but the story as a whole still had promise, so I ended up re-writing it and editing it for over ten years before finally falling in love with their story again.

What made you create (your book)?  How did it come to you?
Beautifully Broken is the sequel/companion novel to My Forever. It focuses on the two minor characters from My Forever who did not get a HEA. I wanted to continue to weave realistic situations, people, and problems into their story; bipolar disorder appealed to me because I dated two separate men in my younger years for a significant amount of time who both battled with the disorder and no medication. I wanted to be able to shine a light on the disorder without it being a negative light.

Who is your literary hero?
I feel like I need to read a lot more before being able to answer that. But I have always loved all of Mitch Albom’s works and his never-ending wisdom. He always has lessons weaved throughout all of his stories and I always end them feeling better than I did before I began. He must be doing something right.

How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
Almost all of my characters are based off of real life people, personalities, etc. All the stories I have told have had real conversations, situations, and even problems weaved throughout. I have either experienced these firsthand or watched someone I love battle with them. I think flawed characters are more honest and more endearing.

Describe your main character in six words.
Lee: Hot, sexy, dreamboat, strong, player, & broken
Jacqueline: Bipolar, hothead, insecure, loyal, beautiful, & broken

Describe the world you’ve created in six words.
Real, raw, gritty, intense, beautiful, & broken

What scene was your favorite to write?
Probably the one where Lee shows up in Montana and in all his cockiness tries to kiss Jacqueline. I loved writing Jacqueline’s reaction to him. I also loved the scene that followed in the car.
What scene was the hardest for you to write?
Oh gosh, probably the first chapter. The one with the flashback of Jacqueline’s rough childhood. It felt too real.

What are you working on now?
Right now I am gearing up to release my third self-published novel, Pieces of Me on August 25th. It is the first book in my Foundation series. I am also currently writing three novels, the final installment of my Infinite Love series, Against All Odds, the sequel to Pieces of Me—the Fighter, and an NA zombie novel titled Into the Darkness. It’s going to be a busy year for me!

Goals? Accomplishments? Improvements?
Goals: I want what any self-published author wants—the ability to make enough income off of my stories to do this full-time. I also am striving to release 5-6 novels my first year self-publishing…it’s a steep goal, but completely doable.

Accomplishments: In less than 11 months on the website Wattpad.com, I have been able to secure down close to 700 followers, 7000+ votes, and over 40,000 reads on my story Pieces of Me. Although it does not necessarily translate to sales, I now have thousands of people who know my pen name and encourage me to be a better writer.

Improvements: I love the website Wattpad.com—I honestly cannot say enough great things about it. One thing I love is that it is an easy platform for me to assess what is working and what really just isn’t. There are always going to be improvements one can make to have a stronger product. I don’t know that I can ever be fully satisfied. J

Are there any authors or books you recommend?
Becca Fitzpatrick, Gayle Forman, and Simone Elkeles have always been some of my favorite YA authors!

What's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?
Singing and acting in any capacity—I am definitely a dreamer.