Aug 20, 2014

Mermaid Interview

When did you realize that you wanted to become a writer?
I’ve always wanted to be able to write, but there was usually something else going on that took precedence. After I graduated from college (with a degree that’s completely unrelated to writing), I figured it was time to give it a try.
Is being an Author all you dreamed of, or did it just happen? The best and worst thing about it?
It just happened. I’m lucky enough to lead a busy and varied life. Being an author is an extension of everything else. The best part of it is finishing a story. There’s a peaceful moment right after I stop typing and before I start worrying about how to sell it that is truly wonderful. The worst part is the never-ending battle to find the time to write.
What was the very first thing you ever wrote?
I’ve been telling stories forever. It’s only in the last few years that I started writing them down. I think the first story I wrote beginning to end is a silly little fantasy short that’s still gathering dust in my ‘to be edited’ folder. It is neither original nor terribly interesting, but since it’s the first, it gets to stay.
What made you create (your book)?  How did it come to you?
I love old folklore and fairy tales. I’m also a bit of a science geek (seriously, I spent my college career competing in and teaching the flight team’s math event – circular slide-rule and all). The two interests got all tangled up in my head and I started working on reimagining old fairy tales from a science fiction perspective. “Mermaid” is one of those.
Who is your literary hero?
I’m not sure it quite counts since he got his start in television but… The Doctor (Dr. Who). He goes everywhere, does everything, and never stops running.
How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
None at all, really. I don’t usually write with particular people in mind. Sometimes I notice a similarity or two when I look back, but my characters come to me as themselves.
Describe your main character in six words.
Inquisitive, hardworking, brave, trusting, earnest, human

Describe the world you’ve created in six words.
Controlled, technology-dependent, divided, near-modern
What scene was your favorite to write?
I loved writing the scene where Cora is talking to her sister. It was a scene I added on the advice of my wonderful (long suffering) first reader and as soon as I put it in place, it made the entire story work much more smoothly.
What scene was the hardest for you to write?
The first scene. I tend to write backwards from the end of the story, so I sometimes find it difficult to know where to begin. It was hard to write Coral as a largely unformed character knowing who she was going to be by the time the story was done.
What are you working on now?
I have a few short stories in the works and I just finished the outline for a sci-fi novel.
Goals? Accomplishments? Improvements?
My next goal is getting the novel started. The goal after that is getting the novel finished.
Are there any authors or books you recommend?
I’m re-reading some of Ursula LeGuin’s books at the moment. I always recommend her work.
What's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?

Fly. (There we go. That Aeronautics degree is good for something.)