Mar 31, 2016

Interview with Sanja

When did you realize that you wanted to become a writer?
I was 13 years old, when I wrote my first “novel”. That was the first time I realized writing is the only thing I want to do in my life, the only important thing. Everything else was insufficient.

Is being an Author all you dreamed of, or did it just happen?
When I realized I can write it was only thing I dreamed of. But it was hard work all the way. Not writing per se - writing comes naturally to me. Having day job, family, not having enough time to write… that’s the hard part.

What was the very first thing you ever wrote?
As I was only 13 years old when I first started to write, my first one was fairytale story about two boys lost in some magic land I named Blue-land. Soon after, I wrote my first horror novel about owl-people.

What was the inspiration for your book?
My novel Beauty Of The Beast was written 1994, two years after the war in Croatia. My first inspiration was idea of war vampires, creatures drawn by war. But story developed and that is now only small segment of the entire idea that covers seven novels. Beauty Of The Beast is only the first one. Two sequels are already written, and the story unrolls.

Who is your literary hero?
It is so hard to say, so many great Croatian writers. There’s hundreds of books I read and thought - I want to write book like this. And they are all different.

How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
I always use some parts of myself or people I know, but I never created character which is completely based on some real person. Its Victor Frankenstein’s process: give some, take some.

Describe your main character in six words.
Lying SOB, know-it-all, user and abuser. I’m talking about Damian, although Viktoria is narrator of the story.

Describe the world you’ve created in six words.
Real world, but turned upside down.

What scene was your favorite to write?
The scene when Damian offers his soon-to-be-victim to Viktoria. That perfectly describes that perverted part of their relationship, pseudo-sexual and using other people as objects to express themselves.

What scene was the hardest for you to write?
There is no such. But there are some scenes that still hurt, and it always will, scenes when I need to kill some character I love. Well, hurting is part of love and part of writing process. If it hurts I know I done it right.

What are you working on now?
Just finished third part of vampire serial, and I’m working on sequel of my children’s fantasy novel.

Goals? Accomplishments? Improvements?
To write, to be better with every new word I write, to create something that people will get in love in, as much as I’m in love with my creations.

Are there any authors or books you recommend?
I love Scandinavian crime and thriller writers, English mystery writers, American horror writers, Croatian kids story writers - and every few days I’m in love with some other book in these on in other genres. Book liking is very personal - if differs from person to person.

What's your favorite thing to do when you're not writing?
Reading. And coming up with new story every evening about George the Whale and his best friend Stary the Starfish for my daughter and listening her finishing my sentences and changing  the course of the story.